LA84 Foundation Careers
THE ORGANIZATION: As a legacy of the 1984 Olympic Games, the LA84 Foundation continues to be a nationally recognized leader in support of youth sport programs and elevating the importance of sports in positive youth development. LA84 seeks to provide an opportunity for every child to participate in sports and experience the wide range of positive outcomes associated with youth sport participation. Since its launch in 1985, LA84 has invested millions in the communities that supported the Games, reaching more than 3 million youth throughout Southern California, from Santa Barbara to San Diego County. The LA84 Foundation continues to promote the spirit of the 1984 Olympic Games by convening and engaging local, national and international audiences about the role of sport in society, and the impact of the Olympic Games on host cities, especially as we look ahead to the 2028 Games. LA84’s headquarters is located in the historic Britt House near downtown Los Angeles, where it houses meeting facilities and the world’s premier sports library. For more information, please visit www.la84.org.
Responsible for administrative support to the Finance & Operations Team; coordinating and staffing all logistical aspects of LA84 Foundation’s facilities usage, including supplies, inventory, and coordination of meetings, conferences, galas, rentals, etc.) This position interfaces with all internal and external constituents and assists in booking and planning of events. Once an event is confirmed, the position will be responsible for ensuring successful event execution. The position is also responsible for answering phones and greeting guests in the front lobby and for organizing and inventory of office and kitchen supplies and assisting Finance & Operations with administration tasks and responsibilities.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance & Operations, the Associate will accurately multitask, prioritize incoming requests, and work with initiative. The role requires analytical and communication skills to appropriately prioritize duties, engage and work collaboratively with the team in a proactive and positive style, and to produce results on-time with meticulous attention to detail. S/he will be involved with a large range of contacts ranging from entry level to extremely high-level and may be exposed to sensitive information requiring discretion, good judgement and confidentiality. S/he will also coordinate/interface with other departments. This position requires comfort and agility in working in a fast-paced work environment and the ability to well-represent the organization to external audiences by phone and email.
- Coordinates scheduling and activities for all on-site small and medium sized rentals; answers basic questions and provide room availability and rental information.. Will be required to take potential clients on walk-through of the facility as needed.
- Prepares initial billing for rental and tracking of invoices and accounts receivable.
- Manages rental contracts, fees and other administrative details of facilities rentals and on-site film shoots. Maintains communication with approved vendors (including Rental Co, caterer, linen rentals, AV, florist etc) and updates the rental package as needed. Assists with maintaining Facilities Rental information page on la84.org and updates information as needed for free marketing assistance with local event/tourism agencies.
- Follow up on client planning information to implement the event and follows up as necessary to ensure successful event.
- Provides high quality customer care and service to all users of facilities including hands-on logistical support, planning and trouble-shooting for external clients before, during, and after events.
- Actively strives to ensure a meaningful experience for all rental clients (for increased return rentals), by engaging groups in a broader understanding of the mission and programs of the LA84 Foundation, and by informing appropriate LA84 staff about rentals from target audiences.
- Provides supports for in-house events as required
- Assists with facilities maintenance and management.
- Staff the front desk and answer and direct all incoming phone calls. Provide assistance when possible and route calls to appropriate employees
- Develop and manage volunteer program
- Manages, organizes, and updates relevant employee data and contact lists.
- Create and maintain various filing systems in an accurate and organized manner.
- Create/update mail merge data base and prepare correspondence for large mailings
- Coordinates company wide catering under the general supervision of managing staff
- Orders and maintains adequate supply of kitchen and office supplies.
- Picks up, sorts and distributes mail and deliveries on a daily basis.
- Assist with general clerical needs (filing, data entry, scheduling, etc.)
- Organize department lunches, meetings, events and business travel.
- Assists with additional duties related to market research & industry evaluation as needed; including rate and vendor analysis and updating/maintaining folder of photos of previous event rentals to use as a tool when meeting with potential clients.
- Assisting Billing, Payroll and HR with day to day tasks and special projects.
- Successfully operates a variety of standard office machines, including a personal computer and a variety of computer applications, phone, fax, shredding and photocopy machines.
- Communicates and liaise verbally and in writing between visitors and staff.
- Formats a variety of documents, reports, memos, charts, slide presentations, and graphics consistent with the organization’s style guide
- Supports data and document management, including filing, scanning and storing digital versions of documents in relevant enterprise content management systems
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations
- Detail oriented with the ability to multitask and work independently.
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a diversity of perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with regulations and directives
- Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge out comes with the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary.
- Other duties assigned may include special event promotion, facilitating interviews and staffing community events.
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
- Minimum Education: Associates Degree. Bachelors degree would be a plus.
- Minimum Experience: 3-5 years experience in event/meeting coordination with increasing responsibilities
Knowledge & Skills:
- Mission-driven with a demonstrated passion for LA84’s work; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Excellent interpersonal skills, collegial and collaborative approach
- Identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder (internal and external) needs;
- Considers impact when executing daily tasks
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work efficiently and multi-task in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions and demanding deadlines.
- Ability to adapt and make sound decisions due to last minute changes.
- Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Diplomacy skills to deal effectively and professionally with issues that arise with outside vendors and with internal stakeholders; demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details with excellent accuracy and completeness; ability to maintain the confidential nature of all employees and company proprietary and privileged information used or observed in the course of performing job duties
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
- Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
- Familiarity with databases and data mining/analysis
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally as needed
- General office environment.
- Physical demands include lifting and moving equipment and supplies up to 25 pounds, visual acuity in reviewing detailed computer records, physical requirements related to sports activities and periodic travel.
- Occasional weekend, late afternoon, and evening hours.
The above description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience; Non-exempt; 32-40 hours; eligible for overtime
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Finance & Operations
To apply: Please send resume, cover letter and the names, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use as subject heading “Operations & Events Associate” and your last name. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.